After I farewell my family members and I depart a few kilos heavier I always have a craving for fresh and healthier foods that also cater to my taste buds.
Today I am deviating from my usual baking and sweets and I am going to show you the recipe to a simple but delicious dinner. Fresh prawn rice paper rolls. YUM!
What You Need: (Makes 10-12)
- 350 grams of peeled cooked cold prawns (Use the ones precooked from your seafood shop)
- 48 leaves of fresh mint
- 12 pieces of chives
- 1 Lebanese cucumber deseeded and julienned
- 5 large pieces of lettuces (cos or icebergs) thinly sliced.
- 2 square cakes of vermicelli rice noodles
- 12 pieces of round rice paper
- 1/3 cup of Hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- A handful of crushed salted and roasted peanuts
- 2-3 finely diced bird's eye chillies
What To Do:
1. To cook the rice noodles simple place the 2 squares of dried vermicelli in a bowl and fill with freshly boiled water , leave to stand for 12 minutes and then drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
2. Have all the ingredients ready for assembly in front of you
3. To cook the rice paper have a large round bowl of hot (just off from freshly boiled) water
4. Dip the rice paper very quickly into the hot water and place into your bench top ( if it still feels hard don't worry it will soften over time )
5. Place mint leaves about 1 cm from the end closest to you
6. Then place 2 prawns, noodles, lettuces and cucumber
7. Now the trick is to roll it like you would a burrito
8. Start by rolling in the side closest to you , then fold in both ends and roll until you have an inch left
9. Place your stick of chive at the one inch mark and then keep rolling.
10. The finish product should look like an over sized spring roll with the beautiful ingredients inside showing through.
11. Now repeat until you have around 10- 12 rice paper rolls depending on how generous you are with the filling.
12. Now to make the sauce mix the hoisin sauce, warm water, peanuts and chilli together(The chilli is optional so you can choose to add, more, less or none. I however love the strong heat)
13. Once you are done apply to face and bask in your healthy bliss!
* Note: The mint is the star ingredient! 4 leaves may seem like a lot to place in one roll... but trust me it isn't.
* Note: Rice paper and Vermicelli overcooks incredibly easily so make sure you keep an eye on it and try to stick to the cooking time I have advised.