Today is a sweet sticky drizzle kind of day for me so I am going to show you how I make my Coffee cake marbled with bitter sweet dark chocolate, layered with freshly whipped butterscotch cream and drizzled generously with my butterscotch sauce
What You Need:
- 120 grams of softened unsalted butter
- 60 grams of brown sugar
- 60 grams of caster sugar
- 120 grams of self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 1/4 cup of buttermilk (I made my own with a squeeze of lemon in milk and letting it sit for 5 mins)
- 2 tablespoons of extra strong espresso
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of hot strong espresso
- 3 cubes of extra dark chocolate (I used 70 %)
- 1 cup of double cream
- 1/4 cup of butterscotch sauce
- 60 grams of butter
- 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of thickened cream
- 2 teaspoons of golden syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt ( or another 1/4 teaspoon if you like it saltier)
What To Do:
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees
2. Blend the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
3. Mix in the eggs and sour cream and mix until smooth
4. Mix in all the dry ingredients until well combined
5. Pour in the buttermilk and espresso into the mixture and mix until smooth and combined
6. Pour the batter into a lined 9in x 9in pan.
7. Set this aside while you make your chocolate marble
8. Combine the hot espresso and chocolate together and mix until smooth
9. Now dollop the chocolate mixture in a polka dot fashion all over the cake batter
10. To create the swirls use a skewer and swirl the chocolate around until it forms a pretty pattern.
11. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
12. While the cake is baking prepare your butterscotch sauce so it has time to cool
13. Combine all the butterscotch ingredients in a pan and simmer for 2 minutes
14. Set the butterscotch aside to cool completely
15. Use square cutters or a knife to cut out 9 squares of coffee cake once it has cooled
16. To make the cream filling simply whip the double cream and cooled butterscotch sauce until it has just stiffened
17. To assemble simply layer the cream and cake and finish off with a generous drizzle of butterscotch. The more the better!
18. Enjoy cool or warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
There is also something great about this cake, If you are in the mood, forget the cream and butterscotch, Simply enjoy a square on it's own for a delicious bitter sweet hit.