Sunday 20 March 2016

Buttermilk Scones

When I think of the ultimate satisfying sweet treat there are always a few things that come to mind. Scones smothered in cream and jam, Pavlova with piles of whipped cream with tart passionfruit or a decadent serving of chocolate mousse.

What do all these treats have in common? They all contain generous amounts of fat (cream) and sugar. Something my biology background has taught me is that it is human nature to love and crave fat and sugar. When food was hard to come by it was important for people to want to eat fat and sugar so when they do come across it they would eat as much as they can. What was the point of me telling you all this ?? After all this isn't a biology lesson... well what i'm trying to say is... don't fight the cravings just eat what you like in moderation.

Today i'm going to make scones it's something I constantly crave!








What You Need:
- 1 3/4 cup of self raising flour
- 1 Tablespoon of caster sugar
- 55 grams of butter
- 3/4 cup of butter milk
- Jam or golden syrup
- Double cream


What To Do:
1.  Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
2.  Mix the flour and sugar together
3.  Rub the butter into the flour with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs
4.  Now mix in the buttermilk until it is well combined
5.  Knead the dough a little until smooth
6.  Flatten out the dough until it is around 2 inches high
7.  Use a fluted round cutter (around 5 cm) to cut out some scones
8.  Bake in the oven for 15 minutes
9.  (In this recipe I egg washed the top of the scone for colour but I think I actually prefer it without)
10. Once the scones have cooled slightly generously coat them in double cream and jam


* I saw Nigella Lawson do this and it's one of my new favourite ways to eat it. Load on cream and golden syrup then apply to face! amazing...












Enjoy





xx Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment