This cake is moist with a beautiful coconut presence with fluffy creamy whipped coconut cream icing and nice toasty shredded coconut bits. To add a another little dimension to the cake I added some strawberry jam in the center.
Here it is!
What You Need:
- 120 grams of soften unsalted butter
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 2/3 cups of plain flour
- 2/3 cups of self raising flour
- 1/4 cups of almond meal
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup of coconut cream
- Good quality store bought strawberry jam (not too sweet)
- 1/4 cup of toasted shredded coconut
Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 can of coconut cream chilled (scoop out only the top hard layer of cream)
- 1/4 cup of icing sugar sifted
What To Do:
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees
2. Mix the butter and sugar until fluffy
3. Mix in the eggs and sour cream until well combined
4. Mix in the Flour, SR Flour, almond meal and desiccated coconut until there are no lumps
5. Then add in the coconut cream and mix until smooth
6. Two options with the next step - I put my cake batter in a 5 inch round tin but I found it took too long to bake. You could use an 8 inch tin which will help with the baking time
7. For the 5 inch tin bake for 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean alternatively for the 8 inch tin bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
8. Once the cake has cooked and cooled cut the cake so that you get two rounds.
9. To prepare the whipped coconut cream simply add the icing sugar to the hard coconut cream and whip until it stiffens.
10. Take the store bought strawberry jam and spread it on on half of the cake
11. Now pile half the coconut cream onto the cake and top with the other half of the cake
12. Then add more coconut cream onto the top of the cake and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
13. There you have it a deliciously moist coconut cake.
* Warning... This coconut cake is seriously coconutty not for the coconut haters!