Monday 5 October 2015

Getaway Gourmet

Happy Long weekend everyone!

I hope everyone has had a safe and long weekend filled with fun and sun :)

This long weekend Lee (My other half) and I decided to get away to a cabin in the middle of a farm, away from society civilization. I know what you are all thinking... How does a girl like me who loves delicious beautiful things survive on meat cooked over an open fire ? Well to be honest I love meat cooked over an open fire but I also need my little bit of gourmet style food while I am away. Two words... Gourmet Damper.
Seems almost impossible gourmet damper... an oxymoron almost? Not really my damper is cooked elegantly on a stick and smothered in all things amazing.

Here is it!



What you need : (done over an open fire)
- 1 1/2 cups of self raising flour. (seeing as I didn't have a measuring cup with me I used a normal mug as a measure so when I say 1 1/2 cups I mean 1 1/2 mugs - about 300-350ml in capacity)
- 100 grams of cold cubed butter unsalted
- 2 teaspoons of caster sugar (just use a normal small spoon)
- approx 1/5 of a mug of cold milk (add more if needed)
- extra self raising flour for dusting
- Very long sticks that have been washed
- lots of your favourite toppings , chocolate hazelnut spread, marshmallow spread, nuts, freeze dried fruits



What to do:
1. Create your fire! The best place to cook your damper is over a log that has been slow burning for a while , not over direct fire otherwise you will end up with charcoal.
2. Mix the flour, sugar and butter together until it resembles bread crumbs . The best way to do this is by rubbing the flour and butter together in between your fingers
3. Mix in the milk and knead until you have a soft dough and you have no more dough sticking to your fingers
4. Add more flour if the dough is too soft, it should have the texture of soft bread dough that isn't as elastic
5. Make some thing sausages with the dough and wrap the dough around the end of the stick like a twirl.
6. Squeeze the dough around the stick to seal it and keep it on tight. remember the thinner the dough the faster it takes to cook
7. Now cook slowly over some burning sticks or logs that are no longer on fire, mine took around 10-15 minutes of slow cooking
8. Once it is cooked (the dough will will firm like damper should) add your toppings !
9. I added chocolate hazelnut spread, fluff (marshmallow spread), salted roasted peanuts and freeze dried strawberries!



Enjoy! This is a great thing to do with a bunch of friends over a campfire!Just make a big bowl of the dough pass it around and everyone can cook their own damper and then dip it into different toppings in the middle.




xx Mel.



No comments:

Post a Comment